Washington Marijuana Laws
Washington Recreational Cannabis Laws FAQ
as of January 1, 2015
Is marijuana legal in Washington?
Is marijuana legal for recreational use in Washington?
- Yes. As of January 1, 2014, it is legal for adults 21 and over to purchase, possess, and consume marijuana for recreational use in Washington.
I am not a resident of Washington. Can I buy marijuana?
- Yes. Anyone over the age of 21 can purchase, possess, and consume marijuana for recreational use in Washington, including out of state and foreign tourists.
Do I need a medical card or special identification to buy marijuana?
- No. You only need to prove you are over the age of 21. You can do this with a driver’s license, state-ID, or passport.
Where can I buy marijuana in Washington?
- View the complete directory of recreational pot shops in Washington.
What kind of marijuana can I purchase in recreational pot shops?
- Every type of cannabis product can be purchased including: buds (flower), hash oil, edibles, cannabis-infused drinks.
How much marijuana can I buy in Washington?
- You can purchase: 1 ounce of useable marijuana (the harvested flowers or “bud”), 16 ounces of marijuana-infused edibles in solid form, 72 ounces in liquid form, 7 grams of marijuana concentrates.
How much marijuana can I possess?
- Any adult over the age of 21 can possess up to one ounce of marijuana, including out-of-state visitors.
Can I possess marijuana anywhere in the state?
- Almost anywhere. National parks, national monuments, and national forests are Federal lands and you cannot legally possess marijuana on Federal land.
Can I possess marijuana in a car?
- Yes. You can possess marijuana in a car.
Can I smoke marijuana while driving?
- No. You cannot smoke while driving and you cannot drive stoned. Both are illegal.
Where can I smoke marijuana in Washington?
- You can smoke marijuana on any private property where marijuana consumption is allowed and out of the public view.
Can I smoke marijuana in public?
- No, not legally. You must be on private property where marijuana consumption is allowed and not in the public view.
Can I smoke marijuana in my hotel?
- Yes, some hotels allow it. But, there are also hotels that don’t. Check with your hotel for their policy. Typically, you would need to get a smoking room or have an outside area where pot smoking is allowed. Check our Washington recommended hotels directory for hotels with smoking rooms. Of course, using a vaporizer or consuming edibles can be done in any hotel room.
Can I take marijuana from Washington out of state?
- No. You cannot take marijuana from Washington outside of the state, even to Oregon where it is also legal. You cannot cross the border with it and you cannot fly with it. Finish it before you leave.
This is just a general guide and is NOT intended as legal advice. For more information on Washington laws, visit the state’s official website: http://access.wa.gov/ .