Oregon Marijuana Laws
Recreational Marijuana: Frequently Asked Questions
Oregon Recreational Cannabis Laws FAQ
As of July 1, 2015
Is marijuana legal in Oregon?
Is marijuana legal for recreational use in Oregon?
- Yes. As of July 1, 2015, it is legal for adults 21 and over to purchase, possess, and consume marijuana for recreational use in Oregon.
I am not a resident of Oregon. Can I buy marijuana?
- Yes. Anyone over the age of 21 can purchase, possess, and consume marijuana for recreational use in Oregon, including out-of-state and out-of-country residents.
Do I need a medical card or special identification to buy marijuana?
- No. You only need to prove you are over the age of 21. You can do this with a driver’s license, state-ID, or passport.
Where can I buy marijuana in Oregon?
- There are recreational marijuana dispensaries (pot shops) throughout the state. These shops are different from medical marijuana dispensaries and have a different type of license to sell to recreational customers. While many pot shops are both medical and recreational, not all are. To help you find the recreational shops, we have a complete directory of recreational pot shops in Oregon.
What kind of marijuana can I purchase in recreational pot shops?
- Every type of cannabis product can be purchased including: buds (flower), hash oil, edibles, cannabis-infused drinks.
How much marijuana can I buy in Oregon?
- You can purchase up to one ounce (28 grams) of marijuana flower, 5 grams of extract or concentrate, 16 ounces cannabinoid product in solid form, 72 ounces cannabinoid product in liquid form, per day at one store.
How much marijuana can I possess?
- Any adult over the age of 21 can possess up to one ounce of marijuana in public, including out-of-state visitors. You may possess up to 8 ounces of flower in private.
Can I possess marijuana anywhere in the state?
- Almost anywhere. National parks, national monuments, and national forests are Federal lands and you cannot legally possess marijuana on Federal land.
Can I possess marijuana in a car?
- Yes. You can possess marijuana in a car, however, it must be “out of public view”.
Can I smoke marijuana while driving?
- No. You cannot smoke while driving and you cannot drive stoned. Both are illegal.
Where can I smoke marijuana in Oregon?
- You can smoke marijuana on any private property where marijuana consumption is allowed and not in the public view.
Can I smoke marijuana in public?
- No, not legally. You must be on private property where marijuana consumption is allowed and not in the public view.
Can I smoke marijuana in my hotel?
- Yes, some hotels allow it. But, there are also hotels that don’t. Check with your hotel for their policy. Typically, you would need to get a smoking room or have an outside area where pot smoking is allowed. Check our Oregon recommended hotels directory for hotels with private balconies and smoking rooms. Of course, using a vaporizer or consuming edibles can be done in almost any hotel room.
Can I smoke my marijuana with someone under 21?
- No. It is illegal for people under 21 to buy, possess or use retail marijuana. It is illegal for anyone to give, sell to, or share marijuana with anyone under 21.
Can I take marijuana from Oregon out of state?
- No. You cannot take marijuana from Oregon outside of Oregon. You cannot cross the border with it and you cannot fly with it outside of the state. Finish it before you leave.
This is just a general guide and is NOT intended as legal advice. For more information on Oregon laws, visit the state’s official website: whatslegaloregon.com .