Oregon Marijuana Laws
Oregon Recreational Cannabis Laws FAQ
as of July 1, 2015
Is marijuana legal in Oregon?
Is marijuana legal for recreational use in Oregon?
- Yes. As of July 1, 2015, it is legal for adults 21 and over to purchase, possess, and consume marijuana for recreational use in Oregon.
I am not a resident of Oregon. Can I buy marijuana?
- Yes. Anyone over the age of 21 can purchase, possess, and consume marijuana for recreational use in Oregon, including out of state and foreign tourists.
Do I need a medical card or special identification to buy marijuana?
- No. You only need to prove you are over the age of 21. You can do this with a driver’s license, state-ID, or passport.
Where can I buy marijuana in Oregon?
- View the complete directory of recreational pot shops in Oregon. Starting October 1, 2015, Oregon allowed existing medical marijuana dispensaries to sell to recreational customers until December 31, 2016. Official licensing of Oregon recreational dispensaries is expected to begin in October of 2016.
What kind of marijuana can I purchase in recreational pot shops?
- Currently, only buds (flower), seeds, and immature marijuana plants can be purchased by recreational users in Oregon. Approved medical dispensaries will not sell edibles, extracts, concentrates or topicals to recreational users. However, these products will eventually become available for recreational use.
How much marijuana can I buy in Oregon?
- You can buy up to 1/4 ounce (7 grams) of marijuana per day.
How much marijuana can I possess?
- Any adult over the age of 21 can possess up to one ounce of marijuana in public and up to 8 ounces in their home.
Can I possess marijuana anywhere in the state?
- Almost anywhere. National parks, national monuments, and national forests are Federal lands and you cannot legally possess marijuana on Federal land.
Can I possess marijuana in a car?
- Yes. You can possess marijuana in a car, but it must be “out of public view”.
Can I smoke marijuana while driving?
- No. You cannot smoke while driving and you cannot drive stoned. Both are illegal.
Where can I smoke marijuana in Oregon?
- You can smoke marijuana on any private property where marijuana consumption is allowed and out of the public view.
Can I smoke marijuana in public?
- No, not legally. You must be on private property where marijuana consumption is allowed and not in the public view.
Can I smoke marijuana in my hotel?
- Yes, some hotels allow it. But, there are also hotels that don’t. Check with your hotel for their policy. Typically, you would need to get a smoking room or have an outside area where pot smoking is allowed. Check our Oregon recommended hotels directory for hotels with smoking rooms. Of course, using a vaporizer or consuming edibles can be done in any hotel room.
Can I take marijuana from Oregon out of state?
- No. You cannot take marijuana from Oregon outside of the state, even to Washington where it is also legal. You cannot cross the border with it and you cannot fly with it. Finish it before you leave.
This is just a general guide and is NOT intended as legal advice. For more information on Oregon laws, visit the state’s official website: http://www.oregon.gov/ .