Colorado Marijuana Laws
Colorado Recreational Cannabis Laws FAQ
as of January 1, 2014
Is marijuana legal in Colorado?
Is marijuana legal for recreational use in Colorado?
- Yes. As of January 1, 2014, it is legal for adults 21 and over to purchase, possess, and consume marijuana for recreational use in Colorado.
I am not a resident of Colorado. Can I buy marijuana?
- Yes. Anyone over the age of 21 can purchase, possess, and consume marijuana for recreational use in Colorado, including out of state and foreign tourists.
Do I need a medical card or special identification to buy marijuana?
- No. You only need to prove you are over the age of 21. You can do this with a driver’s license, state-ID, or passport.
Where can I buy marijuana in Colorado?
- View the complete directory of recreational pot shops in Colorado.
What kind of marijuana can I purchase in recreational pot shops?
- Every type of cannabis product can be purchased including: buds (flower), hash oil, edibles, cannabis-infused drinks.
How much marijuana can I buy in Colorado?
- If you are from out-of-state, you can buy up to 1/4 ounce (7 grams) of marijuana per transaction. Local Colorado residents can purchase up to one ounce (28 grams) at a time.
How much marijuana can I possess?
- Any adult over the age of 21 can possess up to one ounce of marijuana, including out-of-state visitors.
Can I possess marijuana anywhere in the state?
- Almost anywhere. National parks, national monuments, and national forests are Federal lands and you cannot legally possess marijuana on Federal land.
Can I possess marijuana in a car?
- Yes. You can possess marijuana in a car, however, it must be sealed. It cannot be in an “open container”.
Can I smoke marijuana while driving?
- No. You cannot smoke while driving and you cannot drive stoned. Both are illegal.
Where can I smoke marijuana in Colorado?
- You can smoke marijuana on any private property where marijuana consumption is allowed and out of the public view.
Can I smoke marijuana in public?
- No, not legally. You must be on private property where marijuana consumption is allowed and not in the public view.
Can I smoke marijuana in my hotel?
- Yes, some hotels allow it. But, there are also hotels that don’t. Check with your hotel for their policy. Typically, you would need to get a smoking room or have an outside area where pot smoking is allowed. Check our Colorado recommended hotels directory for hotels with smoking rooms. Of course, using a vaporizer or consuming edibles can be done in any hotel room.
Can I take marijuana from Colorado out of state?
- No. You cannot take marijuana from Colorado outside of Colorado. You cannot cross the border with it and you cannot fly with it. Finish it before you leave.
This is just a general guide and is NOT intended as legal advice. For more information on Colorado laws, visit the state’s official website: http://www.colorado.gov/ .